Monday, November 12, 2007

The BEST syrup ever

This syrup is to die for. Even if you're not much of a pancake or waffle type person, you will want to drink this straight out of the pan. You HAVE to try this.
Aunt Jemima is going out of business with this one:

The best syrup ever:

1 cup sugar
1/2 stick real butter
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. karo syrup
1 tsp. vanilla

I didn't have any instructions with mine, but here's what I did:
dump all the ingredients in a sauce pan, heat over medium heat. I took it off, right as it started to boil. Also, I couldn't find buttermilk at the store- I used milk and then I had some heavy cream in the fridge, so I added some of that to thicken it a bit. I bet plain milk would be fine too. Enjoy!

6 comments:

rangersRus said...

Sounds sooo good!! I will definitely have to try it out! I love homemade cool things:)

Jen said...

Oh, I testify to the truth of that syrup's divinity. We've always called it Dad's buttermilk syrup, because he made it every Saturday morning with waffles or pancakes to lure us out of bed and then get us to do chores. The stuff is absolutely to die for and worth all chores that follow.

Jen said...

Also, you can sour milk with a little vinegar or lemon juice. But real buttermilk is the best.

nettifer said...

Whn i was little, I only had homemade syrup - my mom always made it from scratch. I might just start that tradition too. But M eats pancakes every morning - ok I better think of that tradition.

rangersRus said...

You have been tagged... see my blog for details!

Gina said...

Jen, thanks for the tips!