Thursday, November 1, 2007

Book Review: The Memory Keeper's Daughter

I finished this book Halloween night, with the constant interruption of vampires, and transformers knocking at the door!

This was a great book. I enjoyed the fact that it was a little more "heavy" and "literary" than previous books. Towards the mid-end it was slow in parts, but I appreciated the fact that she took the time to truly craft and create her characters, expressing how no one is exempt from struggle and pain. I also enjoyed seeing the "ripple" effect of how one person's bad choice affected so many others. However, this book ends very hopefully showing that by the choices we make, we can either be redeemed in the end, or we can take our pain and guilt with us to the grave and never find peace.
Kim Edwards has also written a collection of stories called the secrets of a fire king. Has anyone read this? I think I will put it on my list to read.

2 comments:

bethany said...

I've heard that this book is good, but I am always a little wary about "adult books". Thanks for the recommendation-I'll have to pick it up at the library! How's your cake business going?

nettifer said...

glad you liked the book. I loved it! I thought it was slow a little bit too, but I liked how it turned out. I am now reading the time travelers wife. Pretty good so far.