Thursday, December 13, 2007

Why Gina is Still Standing

Hello Friends.

I thought this story was pretty entertaining considering Gina is only days away from her scheduled date to induce. I've been wondering how she walks.


Study: Evolutionary Change Lets Pregnant Women Stand Upright

WASHINGTON — With all that growing weight up front, how is it that pregnant women don't lose their balance and topple over?

Scientists think they've found the answer: There are slight differences between women and men in one lower-back vertebra and a joint in the hip, which allow women to adjust their center of gravity.

This elegant evolutionary engineering is seen only in female humans and our immediate ancestors who walked on two feet, but not in chimps and apes, according to a study published in Thursday's journal Nature.

"That's a big load that's pulling you forward," said Liza Shapiro, an anthropology professor at the University of Texas and the only one of the study's three authors who has actually been pregnant. "You experience discomfort. Maybe it would be a lot worse if [the design changes] were not there."

Read the whole story here.


5 comments:

nettifer said...

that is so funny! Gina you look beautiful!

Veronica said...

Gina, you look too awesome for being 9 months pg. Remember how disgusting I looked? Not fair! I am so excited to meet the little sweetie! Just a few more days!

Girly Momma said...

i love belly shots! thanks for posting one!

rangersRus said...

You are too cute Gina! I love your hair cut- it looks so good on you! I'm not sure if it is new or not- because i haven't seen you in like 5 years... so it's new to me- at least and I LOVE IT!!!:)

Jen said...

Yeah, I repeat my sentiments that you look too thin and need to eat more chocolate and donuts to achieve the 8 to 9 months pregnant puffy face look that I sport at that stage.