Monday, May 12, 2008

My Dad

So, many of you know that my dad was diagnosed with a rare lung cancer about 4 years ago. He has overcome the "odds" and we have been blessed to have him continue to be a part of our lives these last few years. My dad's health has taken a turn for the worse and he is now in the "pallative care" phase of treatment. This basically means that they will not seek any further treatments to try to control the cancer, but will just focus on managing his pain and keeping him comfortable. For those of you who may be interested in keeping updated on what is going on with my dad, we have started a blog for him at www.veldonsblog.blogspot.com.
Thanks to all of you who have expressed concern and offered prayers in behalf of our family. We are so blessed to have so many wonderful friends and family members to support us!

My dad was diagnosed with cancer about a month before Kirtis and I got married. I love this picture of me with Dad on my wedding day. (Incidently, the same picture on my dad's blog-- it brought back some memories for me!) Can't you just see the sparkle in his eyes?

9 comments:

bethany said...

I'm sorry to hear that your dad isn't doing well, for some reason I thought he was over the worst of it....We'll definitely keep him and your family in our prayers. I sent the link along to my parents as well, I know that my dad is concerned for his former football rival :)
I love that picture as well-aren't wedding days happy?!

sandals said...

If you ever need to talk, I've been through this myself with my dad. This is a great picture to treasure!

Joe & Kristin said...

Sorry Gina to hear that about your dad. What a hard thing for your family to have to go through. I love your positive attitude about everything though. Just wanted to express that I care...

Megs said...

Gina, thanks for the update on your dad. I am so sorry that this is how things are working out. I will be praying for your family and your dad at this time. I love this picture. You both look so happy.

Corinne said...

That is a really sweet picture. You both look so happy. I am so sorry to here that he isn't doing well...we will keep him in our prayers.

Audrey Beebe said...

Gina, I don't know that I can say anything to make you feel better, but I'm so sorry to hear that things aren't going well for your dad right now.

I love the picture of you and your dad on your wedding day. There's no relationship like that between a dad and his little girl(s.)

We'll keep you in our prayers.

Wayne & Margo said...

I am so sorry to hear that your dad isn't doing well. I can't believe what your family is going through. I just want to let you know that we care about you and our prayers go out to your family in this difficult times. I also love that picture with you and your dad. It is priceless.

Joey & nettifer said...

Hang in there Gina! Love you!

Leslie said...

i miss your dad already, gina, but it made me feel so good seeing you all surrounding your mom at church today. you're so lucky to have such a wonderful family at a time like this. your mom is such a rock. a beautiful, inspiring peaceful rock. :)

loves to all of you. and are we friends on goodreads yet? we should be, now that we've met in real life! :)