Friday, October 3, 2008

Nostalgia.

Me and Dad. 1981
Me and Dad, 1981. Okay, Avery looks just like me as a baby, don't you think?
Me and Dad 1985. I still have chubby knees!



Last night, a friend mentioned that Avery would be going into nursery next year at church (she teaches nursery and was adding up how many children would be joining the class next year when they turn 18 months). I was in absolute denial that that would ever happen. I was actually SHOCKED that in less than a year she would be old enough to go to nursery! That combined with telling several people in casual conversation that my dad had recently passed away, seemed to leave me in a pretty volatile emotional state for the evening! I got home a wreck, my heart bursting with happiness and sadness at the same time. NO! I told Kirtis. Avery will NOT grow up! She cannot. It is not okay with me. She will stay a perfectly heavenly baby forever. My dad held her on his lap while we pushed him in his wheelchair. He held her as a newborn. When I found out Dad had passed, I had her sweet soft fresh skin to press against my tear-stained cheeks. Her new fresh-from-heaven eyes have been my connection to my dad, my gift from a loving heavenly father to help ease the pain of my dad's passing.
But life moves forward. Babies grow up. Parents die. All of this growth is part of an amazing eternal plan. But for now, we hurt and miss and ache because we love and have loved.

Dad, October 2006

I miss you, Dad.

12 comments:

Amy said...

thanks for posting that, the pictures of you and your dad are so sweet. I could not believe how much you look like Avery! So cute. I know, sometimes it is so hard for me to accept that my kids will not always be little. It just makes me enjoy each day alittle more.

Monica said...

Gina,

You and your baby girl look so much alike in those pictures.

Your words about your father were beautiful. You are so strong! You amaze me. I didn't even realize you were sad last night. You did a great job.

Tammy Messick said...

Gina this is beautiful. Thanks for sharing. I love the picture of dad too. Is that one you took? I would like a copy of it.

Jen said...

Those are such sweet pictures. I love the tribute. I still think about you a lot because that must just be so hard.

Joyce said...

I am still shell shocked that you kids all grew up. When Tys was 14 and Tam was 2 I really, really wanted the world to stand still and for all of you to never change. But as you grew, the joys and adventures have just been fabulous.

Burk Family said...

You always make me cry with these posts. I just remembered, I need to call my Dad!! The pics of you with your dad are too cute. Avery does look just like you. I thought that even before I read it on the post. What a cutie.

Kristen said...

Sorry to strike such a chord with you Gina! I'm tearing up as I read this. How wonderful to have someone to help ease the heartache. Avery will always be your baby though (and she does look like you when you were little).

Veronica said...

Okay you got the tears pouring down my face!! Those pics of you and your dad are priceless. And yes, Avery looks just like you! BTW, you do NOT have chubby knees :)

Michelle said...

Thanks, Gina. Your words were so beautiful and really helped remind me of the bigger picture. I loved your description of how you coped with your dad with Avery. So sweet. Those soft chubby baby cheeks have so many uses. ;)

Goose said...

Your are an amazing, strong woman Gina. Avery is a an angel sent to you from Heavenly Father!

melbel said...

What a very sweet post. It's hard watching your parents go through so much, isn't it?

Leslie said...

Gina,
Thanks for sharing such a touching post. I was so sad to hear about your Dad.
Avery looks just like you from the pictures. Wow. What a family resemblance.
How are you? I just found your blog, along with several others from Sugar Land!