Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election Thoughts


Well, I've been hemming and hawing over some of my mixed emotions after the election results last night. I typically haven't posted political beliefs because it's a HOT topic and I'm not a conflict lover. But here we go!

I have to admit that I had hope up to the last minute that somehow McCain would pull through. I guess Barack's message of hope and change and hope and change, and that if you earned 250K or less (or wait, 200K, or 150K?) your taxes would go down resonated with voters.

Time will tell what happens and what Obama's message of hope and change really means. I hope it doesn't mean taking away my freedom to spend or KEEP our hard-earned money however we please.
The upside of John McCain not winning is that it gives Republicans a chance to redefine who they are, and hopefully go back to true conservatism and preserve the rights given to us by our founding fathers.

I also hoped that this state that I already love (Virginia) would go RED, but for the first time since 1964, Virginia went blue. I have to admit this has been a motivation for Kirtis and I are going to get involved in our local politics. I guess sometimes local politicians are decided by 20 or 30 votes, so we are going to start attending meetings, getting to know the issues and take part in the process. I urge you to google your local party and to do the same!

I love this country! I love that I can vote. I love that I have the freedom to express my opinions and dearly held beliefs. God bless America!!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Amen, Gina! Well said. That's awesome you guys are going to get more involved. I want to too, but have NO idea how!

Joey and Nettifer said...

Good for you! It felt so good to vote, even though the guy I voted for didn't win! darn it!