Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Veggie of the Week: Easy Peasy Edamame




Okay, so I haven't really kept up with the weekly postings of new veggies, so this might be the bi-monthly veggie, or the once in a while veggie. But, just so you know we have been eating our greens! I loved hearing about what veggies everyone is eating. Anyway....

The featured veggie is:

Edamame (Soybeans).

You have to try these. Your kids might even like them. You might even like them. In just 1/2 cup there are 10 grams of protein. (That's a lot!)

Now, this is SUPER easy people. I bought these in the frozen "healthy" section of the grocery store. You can buy them in the pod or out of the pod, fresh or frozen. A lot of people like to buy them fresh in the pod as a snack item.

Anyway, here's what I did tonight:



Boiled for 3 minutes.


Drained, put back in the pot and sauted in olive oil, salt, garlic powder, pepper and italian seasoning for about 5 minutes. Done!

Let me know if you've had these, how you like them, if your kids like them, or how it goes when you try them for the first time!

5 comments:

bethany said...

I've never tried them before...do they taste like beans or peas? This is such a great idea to try new ones!!Maybe I'll eventually be able to get Jakson to eat more veggies!!

JaNae said...

looks yummy! Thanks for the lesson...I've always wondered about these but didn't know how to buy them let alone prepare them! We'll have to try it out.

Kristin and Joe said...

I love soybeans! I hadn't tried them until I had to start eating gluten free and needed more variety to my diet. Now I love them!

Joyce said...

Your method sounds so much better than my "boil and eat" recipe.

Jen said...

I love edamame. Our veg of the week is butternut squash. We are in love with it because it tastes good even without butter, which is good for Alex's diet.