Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Veggie of the week

As part of our New Year's Resolves, Kirtis and I are in a Biggest Loser Competition with some friends here. Actually, there are about 30 people in the competition, so the pot has gotten quite large. I joined to get rid of that last stubborn 5 pounds of baby and christmas weight, and to support Kirtis. I REALLY want Kirtis to win, so we've been cooking healthy here. As part of that I've been trying out new veggies whenever I can.

This week's vegetable is.....


Spaghetti Squash!

This is one of our favorite meals right now. We use the spaghetti squash instead of spaghetti noodles, and top it with our favorite marinara. I served it with grilled chicken and spaghetti sauce- you could do it however you want. It's a very bland squash, virtually no flavor, so you really feel like you just had a plate of pasta, but with hardly any calories and TONS of nutrients.

These pics are courtesy of About.com- I loved their step by step instructions.
Basically, poke holes in it, throw the whole thing in the oven at 375 for an hour.
Cut in half, scoop out the seeds.

Use a fork to get the "noodle-like" flesh out. Pour onto your plate and eat it just like spaghetti.
I promise you will like it. My husband loves it. And that's saying something.

What veggies do your families like?

10 comments:

bethany said...

Great idea!! I'm gonna try this! Thanks Gina (more veggies is something we're working on too!)

Jen said...

I was delighted with the taste and texture of a turnip I put in a soup. We were also impressed with the flavor of butternut squash because even without butter, it tasted like it had a little.

Nanette said...

I love sweet potatoes! Just stick them in the microwave for 5 minutes, and add salt and pepper. They're sweet enough that you don't really need to add anything else!

Amy said...

my dad made this for me all the time growing up. I love it! Also, edamames are so good. They are soybeans. You take the beans out of the shells. I get them in the freezer section. I think they are so good.

Goose said...

I love Spaghetti squash! We just bought an ORANGE CAULIFLOWER from Wegmans. Kids loved it!

Heather said...

I just had an entire pack strawberry mentos...love them.

I made speghetti squash last week and it was a lonely evening...just me and the squash..where did everyone go?

Stacy said...

I found that my kids love spinach. I know how weird is that. I use it in a meat mixture for potstickers. They kept taking out the meat and spinach to each just that so now I make meat balls with spinach over rice and they love it.

Amy said...

I like this idea! We like butternut and banana squash too. Dallin loves broccoli and we do green beans a lot as well.

Leslie said...

What a great idea. I will have to try it!

Megs said...

We are really into broccoli, salads, cauliflower and brussel sprouts. They make the house smell a little bit, but it doesn't stop us from enjoying. Good luck on the competition.