Sunday, May 17, 2009

Dad

April 2008

Dad died one year ago today.

It's sad to think about all the life we've experienced without him.

However, in the midst of those sad thoughts, I've been filled with so much peace and gratitude.

Gratitude first for my knowledge of the gospel, for the resurrection and the surety we have of seeing and being with our dad again.

Gratitude also for the wonderful family that I have now. I haven't been able to find the time to go and curl up and have a good cry because of my two sweet kiddos showering me with love and kisses and the joy their sweet spirits bring to me. I just have a feeling that instead of spending my time in my own sadness, Dad would want me to instead show some extra love to my kids, my husband and the people around me.

That's just the kind of person he was. Always giving and showing love to those around him.
In memory of my dad, I will try to be a little more like he was.

A little less selfish, a little more kind. A little more forgiving. And a lot more loving and thoughtful.

I have a long way to go, but will try to live the legacy he gave to me. To show people the kind of love that he would have shown if he were still with us.

I love you dad.
And I miss you.
Gina

12 comments:

Jared A. Johnson said...

Thanks for this post. I have been thinking about your dad today as well. I can't believe it has been a year. It seems like just yesterday that I was checking your mom's blog for daily updates on his health and breathing a sigh of relief each time I read that he was still alive. I miss him, not as fully as I'm sure you do, but there are so many of us who are still touched whenever we think of his life.

I hope you and your family are doing well on this very personal anniversary.

Leslie said...

he was wonderful, and this is such a lovely post. what a nice thought, that rather than spend time in sadness, you kick it up a notch in the love department.
thanks, gina! thinking of you and your family.

Dave and Stephanie said...

i can't believe it has been a year. your dad was a wonderful man and i cried as i read your post. what a great perspective you have. love you!

Margo said...

Wow it's been a year already. I love your post you have such a positive outlook on life and you have such a strong testimony about the gospel. Know that you are in our thoughts.

Neil the Real Deal said...

Veldon was as great a man as I've ever met. He exuded love with everything he did. I miss him as well, and I'm grateful for the peace that comes knowing that he's in a place of solace.

Monica said...

That was beautiful Gina! I'm sure your dad is so very proud of you and your little family!! You amaze me because you didn't even look sad at all yesterday! You are a rock!

Shaulan and McKay said...

Jared reminded our whole Johnson family of today's special anniversary, and I wanted to send my love and prayers to your whole family at this time. We all LOVE your father so very much, and I feel honored to have been blessed to know him. He was an amazing man. Words cannot describe the imprint he had on our entire family. Thank you for sharing this beautiful post, and may we all strive to be more like him.
-Shaulan

Sunnie said...

my dad is about a month out of surgery for cancer. he seems to be doing good, but stuff like this really makes you reevaluate life and think about your relationships with your dad.

just jen said...

this makes me want to go and call my dad...and thank goodness i still can.

dads are so special and it sounds like yours was no different. great post!

Cali Schaack's said...

Yeah Gina this made me cry. You are amazing and your Dad is so proud of the wonderful things you are doing.

Alli

Jen said...

This is a beatiful tribute. I still wonder how you are doing sometimes.

Amy said...

A sweet post, Gina. I can't imagine how hard it would be to lose someone you love so much. You've kept the eternal perspective and I'm proud of you.