Sunday, October 11, 2009

Baltimore Half Marathon

Woo-hoo! I did it!
Saturday was the big race. I didn't train as intense as I would have liked (the longest run I did to prepare was 8 miles) and I was sick the week before- so I was pretty nervous going into it. My goal was to run the whole thing, and I did! I was super proud of myself- it was a really hilly course. Just one foot in front of the other! My time was 2:42:20.
My legs are definitely sore, but not as bad as I thought.
Jackson told me to make sure I won first place, so I went as fast as I could not to disappoint. For me it was all a mental game. I had Jackson's voice in my head, Kristi telling me to "swing your arms!", and Kathi telling me to lean into it down the hills. I thought of my dad a lot, how much he ran before he got sick, and how I always wanted to run a race like this with him after I got home from my mission. I thought about how strong he was even when he was terribly sick. He was definitely with me for the hard parts.
All in all, it was an awesome experience. Now I want to get faster and can't wait for the next one.

17 comments:

Audrey said...

Way to go, Gina!! I'm very impressed!

Joyce said...

You are amazing! I didn't know that you wanted to run with Dad. J looks so happy to be wearing your medal.

Megs said...

Nice work Gina. That is so exciting. I remember you saying you were training for this, but didn't realize it was so soon. That is awesome!

Dave and Stephanie said...

yea!! you rock! i'll run the next one with you!

Nanette said...

congrats! that's a major accomplishment!

Lynette said...

Gooo Gina!!! That is awesome...way to go!!!

Tammy said...

Sounds like fun! I am totally with you on the next one. I am so proud of you.

Amy said...

i am so proud of you!! That is awesome, Jackson looks so proud of his Mama!! You go girl!

Jen said...

Way to go! That's awesome!

Johnsons of Haymarket said...

Super impressive, I am proud of you!

Angie said...

You are amazing Gina! Good for you. You rock! Maybe I'll run a half with you!!

Joey and Nettifer said...

Good job! I am so proud of you. I cried reading your story. Isn't rurning a marathon awesome!
Good job!

Amy said...

Wow! Awesome!! I'm sooo impressed with those who run, especially for REALLY long distances. Running is probably the worst form of torture for me and I can't imagine doing it for hours straight. Danny ran the St. George marathon while I was on the mish so he can really appreciate what you did. So way to go. I'm also impressed you're already gearing up for the next one.

Heather said...

Great job Gina! It was so fun to see you at mile 13! I was looking for you at the end of the race but ending up with Steve (and Ann) in the med tent. AT least we got a place blocked from the wind and warm broth!

Tami said...

Yeah! Congratulations! You rock! What a great experience.

Julianne said...

WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!! I am super-duper impressed. That sounds SO hard, and I'm SO proud of you!!

Kristen said...

Good job Gina. Way to go.