Thursday, May 6, 2010

I had to tell a lie.

To the left of my house is my mom's house. (It's dreamy- and yes I know how lucky I am!) To the right is an empty lot. It's looked like this- with a few inches of water. 

When Spring came and the frogs came out from hibernation- we found hundreds of tadpoles in our little "pond".

Every day we checked on them. We watched them grow and swim and feed on the moss. We read books about tadpoles and frogs and learned they are also called "polliwogs."
The pond started to shrink because it didn't rain for awhile. So Jackson would pray for rain. And it would rain. (Kid you not.) 
Yesterday after I got out of the shower, I saw this:
Now what would you tell your child?

I watched the bulldozer scoop up the water and carry it to another pond. A big beautiful pond with lots of water, where they could grow up to be frogs and live a happy life. 
Can't childhood just be a little magical? 

When have you lied or stretched the truth for your kids? 

8 comments:

Johnsons of Haymarket said...

Oh, I almost cried reading that! How sad! I would have done the same to avoid emotionally scarring my kids. Poor little pollywogs.

Tami said...

Yep! I would tell a little lie. There is NO WAY I would tell my kids that the just bulldozed it and killed those poor frogs. You should ask Drew. I lied to him twice when we were dating. I have since repented, but yep, I lied. What would you tell you boyfriend if he said, "You didn't tell your parents i was coming to meet them to ask for your hand in marriage, did you?" no. :-)

Megs said...

Technically they are swimming in a "pond in the sky" right?? Good choice on your part and so sad for your kids not to have frogs!!

Jen said...

I have a friend who is really far the other way. Her kids never believe in Santa Clause, and she has to train them not to ruin it for the other kids. what a sad loss for your neighborhood. My kids are entertained by caterpillars for hours!

Corinne said...

Good call. All good parents lie.

Lynette said...

you're a good mom. poor little froggies!

Angie said...

You're such a great mom Gina!!

Julianne said...

Umm... YES.
Santa Clause.
Tooth Fairy.
Where babies come from.
What happens to little kids when they don't wear their seatbelts...
I could go on, and on, and on, and on...