Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Tour de Garden

I am absolutely in love with our garden! I go out and check on it several times a day. It is fun to watch it grow. It changes so quickly! We have 3 boxes- and I want more! I am seriously loving it. I think I learn so much from seeing others garden- so I thought I'd give you a tour of mine- in case you've ever thought about starting one- you can see for yourself how easy and fun it is! Plus the kids LOOOOVE it. Seriously, this hasn't been hard at all.
In Box #1 I planted 3 cantaloupe plants. I'm still not sure the best spacing- they were staggered about 1 foot apart and planted on mounds (as recommended on the seed packet).
I planted the watermelon and cucumber about 2-3 weeks after the cantaloupe- for no reason other than it's how long it took me to get the store to buy the seeds. The cantalope looked about like the watermelon 2 weeks ago, so you can see how much it's grown.

In the second box I have 4 bell pepper plants. The seed packet was assorted- so we'll see what color I end up with! I started the seeds indoors in March-then transplanted them to the box at the end of April. ) I bought one jalopeno plant. Shortly after planting, Avery plucked every leaf off of it, but it seems to be doing just fine. Also, Jackson for some unknown reason calls it the "Dr. Pepper Plant" and I think it's so funny/cute that I can't correct him.
Then comes our squash. One zucchini plant and one yellow squash plant. Kirtis calls it the whore of the garden- and he is about right! It's about to take over everything! I planted a row of carrots to see if I could squeeze it in on the side, but it's overtaken the whole box- almost overnight! We do have little squashes on there- about 4 inches long- which is exciting!

These are my baby tomatoes ALL GROWN UP! These are all big boy hybrids. I bought one seed packet, started all 20- picked out 8 plants and gave the rest away. Next year I'll do some more variety- but this was so fun to see these plants from sprouts to full grown like this! Remember these little babies?

Now they have their flowers on them, which will all be tomatoes soon! So exciting.

Okay, so that's the basic tour. We also have some blackberry, rasberry, blueberry bushes in pots. Any tips on these? We're still deciding where to plant. Any veggies you guys love to grow? I'm compiling my list for next year! Questions?

7 comments:

Johnsons of Haymarket said...

How beautiful Gina! Yours is much bigger and organized than mine for sure! We did green beans last year and loved them, they just need something to climb up. We are trying peas this year too. I'll let you know how they turn out!

Jen said...

Just beautiful! I would love my garden if it looked like that, too.

We are doing just the community garden this year, and I have loved the green peas, too. They are fun to pick and fun to eat. We grew Marvels.

Lynette said...

Your garden looks awesome!!! we're trying a garden this year, but i'm not sure it's doing as good as yours. Great job!

Kristin and Joe said...

Awesome garden Gina! We're getting more into gardening here too! We have more garden boxes this year than last year. It is so fun to grow our own food!

Megs said...

It looks awesome!! I can't believe your tomatoes are so big. I have not even planted mine yet because it is still too cold here. I think the watermelon is going to be so fun.

Marsha said...

I'm so jealous, I love your garden! I've given up on the whole thing but your garden looks so wonderful that perhaps one day I will take a stab at it again!

Amy said...

Awesome garden! We are dying to try our hand at gardening now that we might have our own house soon. Even composting we'd like to try. I hope you have lots of success with all your produce.

ps- Thank Kirtis for "whore of the garden". That is hilarious.