Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Something funny, something sad, and something awesome

FUNNY: I knew it was going to be an awesome day when I hopped in the shower this morning. I looked out our window (we have the honeycomb blinds- they have a top-down option- so you can just leave the top 8 or so inches of your blinds open). It really works great to let some light in, while still having privacy in the bathroom where you need it.  Except for this time as soon as I got some shampoo in my hands, I looked up out my window  and saw a man - a roofer- straight in front of me- on the house they are building next door. Yikes! I hopped out of the shower so fast, and got those blinds shut as quick as I could!

SAD: Yesterday we saw a turtle crossing the road, so I stopped the van and jumped out and grabbed him. I have to admit I felt a little heroic having saved him from being ran over by a car. The kids were very excited- and I've been on the lookout for one ever since the last we had escaped. I grabbed the recycling bin and through him in. The kids were playing with him all morning- bringing him vegetables- making sure he had water and grass to play in.
We went to the pool for a couple hours- and as I'm putting Avery down for her nap, Jackson comes inside- in tears. The turtle was dead. I went out to check on him- and yep- he baked to death in the sun. So, I'm thinking we need to take a little turtle break.


AWESOME: As I'm driving home, I saw one of those plastic playgrounds out on someone's curb- with a sign on it that said FREE. I pulled over so fast- and stuffed it in the back of the van the best I could, with half of it hanging out, pulled slowly home and wa-la! New playground. I LOVE FREE STUFF. :) The kids were so stoked. I think it almost made up for the turtle death.

9 comments:

bethany said...

So do you think the guy saw you and just didn't say anything? :) Nice work on the free climber!! I LOVE stuff that like! Way to have no shame!

bethany said...

Hopefully that didn't sound mean-the "no shame" part. We've done the same thing, but I think it's so silly when people won't do stuff like that because they are afraid someone will see them take "trash" off the road. Free is free and they miss out!!

Joyce said...

Yikes. Sorry. Way to go.

Heidi said...

Gina-those stories are awesome! The turtle made me sad, but you're right, the free playground makes up for it a little bit.

Tami said...

Fun to read and see pics after running with you this morning. So grateful for you running with me. We have to keep it up. See ya when I get back!

Amy said...

So completely jealous of that playground. We are in the market for one and you got it free. Totally awesome.

And R.I.P., turtle.

Way to give an EYEFULL to some roofer. I'm sure he'll take extra long to roof that house. :)

Stacy said...

What a day already. You might need a nap! I hope we end up close and we can hang out again!!

Melanni said...

What a day! Way to score that free play equipment...lucky!

Megs said...

Very funny. I am sure he loved your hot bod :) I love free stuff. So glad you found something fun for your kids.