Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The tables have turned

I'm too lazy to find my camera and unload whatever pics may be on it.
Until then, some thoughts.
Life is good.

My kids are just perfect.
They've both gone through some tough phases. Jackson was a tough toddler and can still be a tough kid at times. But I've had so many proud parenting moments in the past few weeks.
Manners learned.
Apologies given.

A few days ago we had a women's shin dig at the church in the middle of the day. A few teenagers were babysitting the kids in the other room. Jackson and Avery were watching a movie. There chairs were right next to each other and Jackson had his arm around Avery, and Avery was leaning onto his shoulder. Honestly, that moment really sums up their relationship. Yes they have their squabbles, but they are truly best friends and it makes me so happy and proud to be their mom.

I feel like having a 5 year old gives me the perspective I wanted so badly when he was 2, 3 and even 4 years old. Honestly, just to know that he would turn into a good kid.


But now, even though he's not a perfect kid (but pretty near close- hey, I can say that I'm his mom, right!) I now know that he is a GREAT person. He cares about others. He works hard. He's fun to be around.  He's funny and creative and smart, and an awesome big brother, son, grandson and friend.


Now, when Avery throws tantrums and frustrates me to know end, I can really chalk it up to being a toddler, not bad parenting. She'll turn out great. Hey, she IS great already. I notice more of the good and let the bad stuff go. I savor all the little sweet moments more because I know how quickly they'll be gone........
.....like my 5 year old buddy going to Kindergarten in 21 days.....

6 comments:

Jen said...

Wow, our school started last week. I am so glad I have another year with Grace. They grow up so fast!

Megs said...

Very interesting insights Gina. Maybe I don't stress out as much with the potty training next time around. Right now I want to rip all of my hair out. I am not even kidding. It has brought me to tears more than once.
You are such a great mom so I have no doubt your kids are amazing. I don't think you give yourself enough credit!! Love you.

Marsha said...

It's so true, they do get easier as they are older. Tanner is at that troublesome age right now so I'm so glad to read your reminder, thanks for sharing! :)

Amy said...

Good thoughts. I'm trying harder to notice the good things my kids do because I often get caught up in the negative. I know you're a great mom who strives to do her best. That's all Heavenly Father asks for anyway, right? And then He makes up the rest. Keep up the great work!

Dawnelle Anderson said...

I love your thoughts. I have been going through times when I think my parenting isn't good enough and my kids never listen and obey. This was a good reminder to try as hard as you can and then sit back and enjoy the time you have with them and when time passes you will see you have made an impact on them. Thanks

Stephanette said...

Gina,

I needed this today with my fun, but tough toddler!

So glad I stumbled across your blog.

Your long lost Freshman roommate