Wednesday, January 27, 2016

January Book Reviews

Remember when I talked about how I wanted to read more? Well I set a goal on Goodreads to read 40 books this year. It's a little less than one a week, so I figured it was pretty do-able.

Here's what I've read in January.


Blackmoore was a really fun, light read. The setting was mysterious, and the characters were interesting. I liked it a little more than her first book, Edenbrooke.  Totally clean and "proper" romance.

I really liked The Orphan Train. It intertwines the story of a young immigrant girl in the late 1920's who is orphaned, with a modern girl in the foster system. I'm still thinking about these characters and their amazing stories.  It reminded me a bit of the Language of Flowers that I read a few years back. (Loved that book!) For those who want to know, there is some bad language, and a scene describing sexual abuse.

This was recommended to me by my friend Evelyn for a reading club. It's also in the "proper romance" genre, like Blackmoore.  I loved this book! It was really fun to read. Without giving anything away, it was so different from what I was expecting, and I loved the message. You really must read it!

This is probably the most fiction I've read consecutively for a while! I really enjoyed the escape. Here's my nonfiction:


After thinking so much about my own introversion or extroversion last week, I felt like I had to read this book. There were some interesting parts, such as the discussion of how our society shifted from a culture of character to a culture of personality, and Dale Carnegie's role in that shift.  The example of introverts finding it hard to fit into the extroverted worlds of Harvard Business School, or evangelical churches was also thought-provoking. It made me ponder how extremely extroverted my church (that I love being a member of) truly is. Members who are considered active in our church are ones who are willing to pray at the pulpit, teach lessons sometimes to large groups, and occasionally give talks to the whole congregation. We also are expected to visit teach or home teach several other members (which entails stopping by their homes to give friendship and spiritual encouragement). Anyway,  all of those examples make our church a wonderful place to worship, it just made me aware of how hard it would be to feel like you fit in, if you are a true introvert.  Overall, this book was worth reading, but I had no guilt over skipping and skimming through the things I didn't find interesting.

No comments: